School History

St. Joseph's school was founded by the Josephite sisters in 1884. It was the first school established west of the Goulburn house of the Josephite sisters. The sisters first came to establish a school for the gold miners' and farmers' children. The original school was behind the church building. Later a new stone building was established in 1905 and this is the main school building today. In 1984 centenary celebrations included renovations to the school. A new library, classroom and staff room were set up. The tradition of Mary MacKillop's caring for country children was continued by the sisters until 1988. At this time the first lay Principal was appointed.

The Josephite sisters continued to have a presence in the school, as pastoral care workers in the parish and friends on special days, e.g. St Joseph's feast day, Grandparents and special friends.

The Parish Co-ordinator is a Josephite sister and this continues the tradition of the Josephites within the school.